smithsun

Hello there
In my game project i am interesting in having both the power of sprites and spine.
Meaning, I would like to apply an image/sprite sheet to be located like an attachment through
my game's lua code, on a bone --> I want it to follow and rotate with that bone.

E.g:
I create a spine animation using bones and body parts, but i want to animate the face details (eyes, brows, mouth etc.)
using a sprite sheet from within the corona code.

I know I can use spine for this by adding different images attached to a slot and then keying them,
but I want for e.g. the face's details animation to be separated from the body so I can randomly
activate those animations at runtime, regardless of the animations the body uses.
Also, what happens if i want to load many of those small animations and scroll between them. (sprite sheets can do that)

Is there a way i can do that using spine? if not is there away i can do what i asked?
It is kind of very important to me the use of such way to do that, any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated.
smithsun

jpoag

What you want to do is to replace self:createImage(attachment) on the skeleton instance. The goblins example shows:
local skeleton = spine.Skeleton.new(skeletonData)
function skeleton:createImage (attachment)
return display.newImage("examples/goblins/images/" .. attachment.name .. ".png")
end
But you should be able to use any DisplayObject derived class:
local skeleton = spine.Skeleton.new(skeletonData)
function skeleton:createImage (attachment)
if attachment and attachment.name == "replace_me" then return display.newSprite() end
return display.newImage("examples/goblins/images/" .. attachment.name .. ".png")
end
jpoag

Kickstarter 2 backer

smithsun

that is interesting, but how do i refer to that image again after i set it, later in the code, so i can change what animation is played with that attachment?
thanks again
smithsun

jpoag

Well, don't use a static lookup, use a table that you can change. I think if a table doesn't have a particular key, a lookup attempt will be nil. Or, since it's Lua, change out the whole function on the instance during runtime.
if attachment and mySprites[attachment.name] then return mySprites[attachment.name] end
Also, if you're hot swapping the image/attachment, you need to invalidate the cache for that slot or the whole skeleton. The skeleton has an images{} table keyed to the slot for the attachment! but I think if you drop the whole table it will be rebuilt the next update.
skeleton.images={}
jpoag

Kickstarter 2 backer

smithsun

O.K I will try that.
Thank you .

---

Working like magic!
Thanks jpoag.
smithsun

Natrag na Runtimes