foriero

Hi Mitch and Nate,

I don't know what is your policy. But I feel until you give Spine Runtime on Unity AssetStore and let people sell their animations the spine will be dying as it is now. So I ask Mitch, Nate and others involved please reconsider your runtime license and let people to be creative. Then you will have enough customers to sustain the development of spine.

Please do it so that we get to Spine 3.0 or I feel we will never get there.

Thanks, Marek.

---

Or if you feel like runtime is not for free, just put it there as paid. But please move forward.
Founder & CEO Foriero s.r.o.
https://studio.foriero.com
foriero

Nate

The Spine Runtimes can't be placed on the Unity Asset store unfortunately, because the Unity Asset store forces anything placed there to be under the Unity Asset store license. The Spine Runtimes have their own license, so it can't just be discarded and put under the Unity Asset store license.

However, you can still put your assets on the store. You can post them (all or part) as spritesheets, so someone can use them without Spine. You can also use baking in spine-unity to convert the Spine animations to native Unity. Either way, you can include the Spine project and exported data, so if someone wants to use the Spine Runtimes they can. I believe the Unity asset store guidelines say the asset needs to work on its own, which the spritesheets and/or native Unity animations cover.

Here is an example:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41338

This is also being done for other tools, eg there are assets on the store that say "requires SmoothMoves".
Nate

Nate

Pharan

What about Gumroad or other store sites?
Is that okay?
Pharan

Nate

It depends on their license. The terms of the Spine Runtimes license need to apply to any redistribution of the Spine Runtimes.
Nate

Nate

foriero

So basically if we put into description this text, which is extracted from above mentioned unity example, you are ok that we will sell spine animations ( not exported to spritesheets or converted to mecanim, which is half working )?

"2D Animation Heroes' assets were created in the Spine 2D animation package and run from the Spine Unity Runtime github project. Import this Runtime into your own project to use these animations.You will need a copy of Spine Essential or Professional to have permission to use the Spine Unity runtime in your game if you plan to release it."
Founder & CEO Foriero s.r.o.
https://studio.foriero.com
foriero

Nate

You own the intellectual property (IP) that you create with Spine (same as with Photoshop or any other program). You can sell your Spine project file and the images, video, JSON, and binary data you export from Spine. You own those and can sell them, give them away, or do anything you want with them.

The Spine license and Spine Runtimes license are what define your rights to Spine and the Spine Runtimes.

You do not own Spine. You cannot redistribute Spine or allow others to use your license.

You do not own the Spine Runtimes. If you have a Spine license, you can redistribute the Spine Runtimes, but redistributions must include the Spine Runtimes license.

The Unity Asset Store does not allow you to include the Spine Runtimes license or any other license, therefore you may not redistribute the Spine Runtimes through the Unity Asset Store. You can still sell your IP there, but you cannot include the Spine Runtimes with it.

I believe the Unity Asset Store requires what you are selling to work in Unity. I suggest you make a Unity project that has spritesheets and/or Mecanim to show off your IP. You may also include your Spine project and/or exported JSON and binary data. If people who purchase your IP want to use that with the Spine Runtimes, they will need their own Spine license. We do not have a requirement that you need to include some specific text when you sell your IP, but it is nice to tell people they need a Spine license if they want to use the Spine Runtimes to render the JSON or binary data so they aren't surprised after purchasing your IP.
Nate

Nate

Natrag na Unity