Timshark

Is there a way to select which bone to use as a rotation point when posing a selected group of bones?

EDIT: changed the title of the post to better reflect what I'm looking for
Timshark

Nate

Not sure what you mean by starting point. Not sure what you mean by posing either. If you are using the Pose tool, just select the bones you want to manipulate.
Nate

Nate

Timshark

Sorry, I'm a beginner at this and do not know the terms yet.

But I've searched the forum and testet some things and I think what I'm after is not possible at this point (and maybe it shouldn't). I think it is related to the IK system.
I have a wormlike character with a lot of segments. And I want to manipulate just the middle of the worm (lets say the middle 5 of 15 bones in a line) with the pose tool.
Like this:

Of what I understand it may not be possible to lock the head and tail of my worm and only manipulate the middle part with the pose tool....

That's alright, btw, I'm only discovering and learning. (quite obvious with this worm experiment.)
But I think this also relates to the rotation tool. If I select every bone in my character I also want to select wich bone should be the rotation point.
Timshark

Nate

Aye, the pose tool cannot do that. You want to "pin" a bone so it doesn't move while using IK.

The rotation tool also does not work like that. :) Each bone uses a coordinate system of the parent bone. Rotations around an arbitrary point are not possible.
Nate

Nate

Timshark

Thank you, Nate. I've finally managed to mold my brain into the mechanics now :)
I solved my experiment by rethinking the bone setup. Instead of having one bone after the root bone I created two. One for the head and one for the tail. with this setup I can move the head and tail independently without them affecting the x,y position of eachother.

I found out that an inchworm (sideways) should be setup as a front facing humanoid. With the head and tail of the worm working like the left and right arm on a humanoid. Mirroring left and right. with the roots not at the shoulders but at the hands.

I'm almost an expert now :)
Timshark

Natrag na Editor